Skilled North Jersey Lawyer Defends Clients Accused of Crimes
Newark law firm committed to strong advocacy for the community
No matter what criminal charge you face, you have fundamental rights to fairness and due process under the law. Unfortunately, these are not always offered freely in the law enforcement process. At the The Law Office of Dwight H Simon Day LLC in Newark, I vigorously defend clients in all types of criminal matters and make sure that their rights are respected. Whether you are facing serious charges or those involving a minor offense, a conviction can take away your freedom, your job, even access to your family. With more than a decade of practice experience, I understand both the law on the books and how the real world through the criminal justice system actually treats defendants. When your reputation and your very future are on the line, you need an attorney who is willing to fight for you. I have helped a diverse group of North Jersey clients obtain favorable results at trial and through acceptable plea bargains.
Diligent defense for homicide charges
In New Jersey, criminal homicide — the taking of a life by another human being — is divided into three categories, with varying penalties. If you face any type of homicide charge, your very freedom and future are at stake, which is why you need the help of an experienced, determined criminal defense attorney right away. I have both the knowledge and skill to defend you against all homicide charges:
- Murder — The most serious kind of homicide, murder, involves intent or is committed during the commission of another serious crime (such as kidnapping or robbery) and carries a penalty of 30 years to life in prison.
- Manslaughter — A manslaughter charge is one in which a defendant “acted with extreme indifference to human life.” There are three manslaughter counts — aggravated, reckless and passion as a result of reasonable provocation — with sentences ranging from 5 to 30 years in prison.
- Death by auto — This charge applies to reckless driving that causes a death. It is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine up to $200,000.
No matter which charge you face, I will mount the strongest possible defense by challenging the prosecution’s evidence and procedures to reach a fair result.
Advocating for those charged with sex crimes or domestic violence
The mere allegation of committing a sex crime or an act of domestic violence can ruin your reputation, even if you are found not guilty. I have both the background and skill to know that these charges often hinge on details misinterpreted by law enforcement or exaggerated by those filing charges and will ensure the facts of your case are presented before the court.
Comprehensive assistance for allegations involving drugs
In New Jersey, the penalties for drug crimes vary widely based on the substance and amount involved. I advise clients on charges relating to:
- Marijuana — Under current New Jersey law, possessing a personal amount (50 grams or less) of marijuana is a disorderly persons offense. However, a larger amount can be interpreted as intent to distribute the drug, and a conviction leads to a longer sentence.
- Heroin and cocaine — The penalties for possessing, making or selling heroin and cocaine are extremely severe. Amounts more than five ounces can lead to minimum 10-year sentences.
- Methamphetamine — Just possessing methamphetamine can carry a three-year minimum sentence and a fine of up to $35,000. Evidence of manufacture can lead to much longer incarceration.
For any drug charge, I argue strenuously for a fair result. When appropriate, my firm advocates for alternatives to incarceration such as treatment programs or community service.
Thorough attorney handles burglary trials for New Jersey defendants
Burglary sometimes gets confused with trespassing or theft, but the consequences of a burglary conviction can be much more severe. A prosecutor must show that you not only entered a property unlawfully but that you also had criminal intent in doing so. My firm prepares strong defenses in these matters, because prosecutors often take short-cuts when trying to prove a defendant’s state of mind. When appropriate, I negotiate strongly for a reduction to a charge that fits the facts more closely.
Contact a dedicated Newark criminal defense attorney for a free initial consultation
The The Law Office of Dwight H Simon Day LLC represents Northern New Jersey clients in all types of criminal defense matters. Please call 844-801-2698 or contact me online for a free initial consultation at my Newark office.